Water Transfer Printing, also known as Hydrographic Printing, allows patterns and designs to be applied to irregularly shaped objects. Any object that can hold a base coat and be safely submerged in water can be dipped. Surfaces such as rims, dashboards, hunting equipment, camouflage items, helmets, skateboards, glassware, and gaming controllers can be customized with
this process. This is same process used by major manufacturers to decorate their products before sale, except you get to take control of the customization yourself. Above you see some dash components printed with carbon fibre texture. You can see the exact same texture being applied to rims in the video to the right. It has to be seen to be believed.
Water Transfer Printing is a five step process where any waterproof 3d object is prepped, printed, and preserved using extremely specialized equipment and techniques. Here is how we do it:
- Film Selection: You begin by choosing a texture or pattern from our library of hundreds of water printing films. We carry images related to Hunting, Camouflage, Automotive, Animal Prints, Metal, Stone and Marble, and Royalty Designs.
- Base Painting: In most cases, a base colour coat is applied to the objects which are being processed. For instance, wood grain designs often look better with a brown shade base coat; metallic prints benefit from a silver or grey coat. We provide a wide colour variety of water based paints, which are ideal for Hydrographic printing. Part of the versatility comes in choosing the desired base coat. Patterns will appear radically different depending on the underlying base coat applied.
- Preparing the film: The Hydrographic film is carefully placed on the water’s surface in the dipping tank. The clear film is water soluble, and dissolves, leaving only the pattern floating on the water. Surface tension will allow the pattern to curve around any shaped surface.
- Activation: Any remaining residue is then rinsed off thoroughly. The ink has already adhered and will not wash off. It is then allowed to dry.
- Clear Coating: After a close quality control inspection, the printed objects can be clear coated to protect the surface, and to provide a shiny appearance.
Have a look at what the dipping process looks like in the videos below. It has to be seen to be believed, it is such a cool process.
We're setting up our hydrographic gear as we speak. Who wants to be the first in line to get dipped? Contact us here http://bit.ly/1A3ueFh or give us a call at (250) 386-0615. Appointments begin Monday!Posted by Island Detail and Island Color on Tuesday, February 17, 2015
Customizing rims is one of the most exciting and most requested projects we do at Dynamic Hydrographics. There is nothing like a perfect wheel to complete your ride, but over time they get dull, damaged, or just need a change. We have a variety of options for you at our paint shop, you can see them all here. You can have them repaired, painted, or dipped. The choice is yours.
Translucent patterns: Yes. Interior trim parts: Yes. Plastics: Yes. We dip it all. Who wants to be the first in line to get dipped? Contact us here http://bit.ly/1A3ueFh or give us a call at (250) 386-0615. Appointments begin Monday!Posted by Island Detail and Island Color on Friday, February 20, 2015
About Interior Trim
Interior vehicle trim is hungry for customizing. Every single model from your vehicle’s year came off the line looking the same, why not put your own stamp on it? We can do radio consoles, shifters, door trim, dashboards, cup holders, ashtrays, manufacturer badges, and anything else you can take off and bring in. Have a look here at how we do it.
Hydrographics on motorcycle equipment looks insane! We are taking our first appointments this week so if you need some of your riding gear customized give us a call at (250) 386-0615 or contact us here: http://bit.ly/1A3ueFhPosted by Island Detail and Island Color on Tuesday, February 24, 2015
Motorcyclists have always customized their helmets. The only problem is that airbrushing designs can be extremely expensive and have a very long turn around. With hydrographic printing we can get you any colour you like, topped with any pattern in our catalogue, and clear coated to a matte or gloss shine. Completely custom with a quick turnaround that won’t break the bank.
About Hunting Gear
Hunting gear such as rifles and shotguns are perfect candidates for water transfer printing. All of the stocks and barrels are easily disassembled and easily masked, and when you find a complimentary pattern to your textured grip the result is stunning. Have a look at this complete dip to the left, the process is extremely cool.
Just wrapping up our first dips. Red carbon trim with a silver carbon insert on the engine cover. Darn pretty. Click here to get in on the action: http://bit.ly/1A3ueFhPosted by Island Detail and Island Color on Thursday, February 26, 2015
About Engine Covers
When you pop the hood and see something completely custom hiding on the inside you know you are talking to a proper petrol head. Engine covers, air intakes, valve and fuse covers are all fair game and look insane when they are all painted and dipped to match. The super hard clear coat will easily withstand the heat from your engine and take on a brilliant shine when you are ready to show your vehicle.